Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hey my kid's almost 7 months old!!!!

Yeah...the last time I checked in I was still gestating and now my little fetus is out and eating carrots!!! Holy cow...I'm lame at this blogging thing :D Let's see...what has happened in the last 7 months...oh yeah I HAD A BABY!!
I ended up going into L&D at about 9pm on January 23rd I had a centering appointment the day before and at the end of the appt my doc asked if I wanted to be checked to see if I had started dilating yet...I said "why not, everyone's going to ask me about it anyway" So we go back in the room and she's checking me and then laughs and says "so what's your guess?" I reply "I don't know" she says "ya gotta guess." Now at this point I start to worry LOL I am still feeling fine and dandy and want those next 2 weeks with Lillian still camped out inside! So I say "ooonne" and she says keep going, so I go with "twoooo" and get more laughter from her. Then I say "threeee" and she says "well more like 3+ but it's less than 4 and you are 75% effaced" To all of this I reply(in a very hopeful voice) "so I'll see you next Thursday for my checkup?" To which she replied "I'm on call Monday" and we went back and forth on that one a couple times LOL So I go back out and let my mom know what's up (which totally freaked her out) then called Adam and let him know what the doc said. That at least got him the night off work so that was nice but nothing happened Thursday night...we were working on getting things done around the house and then Friday buying things that we still needed for Lillian's arrival. Soooo Friday evening rolls around, Adam had to go into work and my mom came over because she really hated the idea of me being at this point in the game and being home alone. At about 8:30pm mom is asking me if something is up, I felt different. No real pain or anything just really uncomfortable and my hips were sore but no pain. We talk about the benefits of going in vs. staying home and decided it was better to head in and have to come home than unprepared and have something happen. Soooo we call Adam at work and we all head to Labor and Delivery. Once there they have me sit in a room while they get all of my info together and time the contractions. Now while I say contractions I was just calling it a "tightening" because me belly would get hard but I didn't hurt, it was uncomfortable but not painful for me. I was timing the contractions to be about 5 minutes apart, when they got me into an exam room they said I was still about at a 4cm dilation and about 75% effaced still but my contractions were moderate and they were coming every 2-3 minutes so they wanted me to walk...and walk...and walk...for 2 hours but do NOT leave the hospital. So we walked and within the first hour my contractions got more intense as to where I couldn't walk through them anymore and they moved up to being 1 minute apart and about 45-55 seconds long (which didn't leave me a lot of recovery time lol) but for me they still didn't hurt that bad, just really uncomfortable. At this point it's about 12:30am and they get me back to the exam room and hook me back up to the monitors and check me and all that fun stuff, well the walking bumped me up to 6cm dilated so that got me a room for the night at least LOL Soooo I get settled in my room at about 1:15/1:30am and they wanted to either break my water or have me walk more so I opted for the walking. I got sick one time not too long before they checked me again because the contractions was a bit more sudden and intense than before but I did make it to the bathroom on my own which I was proud of...I was still functioning pretty well I think. They checked me at about 3:30am and my doc said that I was at an 8 now but because of the way the baby was laying my cervix wasn't thinning out all over, there was this little lip that just wasn't doing it so she wanted to break my water (it was bulging at this point apparently) I mention to them that I still definately don't want an epidural but I might want something in my IV for the pushing part depending upon how long it lasted and how I felt...I was still able to breathe through the contractions okay at this point and joke around with the nurses as they ended. She said okay and proceeds to break my water and then leave to get some meds for me. As soon as she left the room I had a contraction, threw up and I felt Lillian coming...I told my nurse and he got the doc and everyone came running because I went from an 8 to a 10 in about 2.5 seconds and it was time to push, they barely had time to break the bed down into a delivery bed. She was out in about 5 pushes (I really can't remember exactly how many-it all kind of ran together at that point) at 4:08am. After she was out they took her immediately to get checked up and Adam went with her (it was just to the other side of the room though) while they worked on me because they were concerned about a meconium showing in the water and now the placenta needed to come out. So we are doing that and of course since the birth was so fast I needed a bit of a complication and I had what they called a "retained placental membrane" The docs that were working on me were great but they aren't OB surgeons so they called him in and kept trying to get it out in the meantime. The OB ended up doing a "manual extraction of the membrane" It was terrible and I will just say that keep in mind I had no pain meds whatsoever at this point...they gave me 50mg (i think) of Fentanyl before the doc tried to remove the membrane manually and then about an hour later before the OB got there they gave me another 50 so I had "something on board" when he came in and did it. They told me to let them know when I felt drunk but I never felt anything except for what they were doing to me. Whichever though, at least that is over! I am not sure if it's because I went natural but I didn't really have any pain at all since they left me alone lol Adam was amazing though...he held Lillian the entire time they were working on me and she was so alert so early it seemed. It was all so fast and amazing and wooooooo now it's almost 7 months later and little Miss Lillian Rae is fabulous! She is soo mellow and laid back and loving and just amazing. We love her more than anything! I'll post more updates on this thingy I swear it!!

No comments: